“This Magazine is designed to supply the want, long since felt, of a Lutheran periodical devoted to theological discussion. Its aim will be the exposition and defense of the doctrines of the Church as confessed in the Book of Concord. Theology in all its departments is embraced within its scope, though for the present special attention will be given to the controverted subject of predestination.”
Level of Difficulty: Primer: No subject matter knowledge needed.
Matthias Loy served as President of the Joint Synod of Ohio, the Columbus Seminary and Capital University, and edited the Lutheran Standard and the Columbus Theological Magazine. In 1881 he withdrew the Joint Synod from the Synodical Conference as a result of Walther’s teaching about predestination. In his autobiography Dr. Loy writes, “The history of the Church confirms and illustrates the teachings of the Bible, that yielding little by little leads to yielding more and more, until all is in danger; and the tempter is never satisfied until all is lost.”
Vol. III. February, 1883. No. 1.
- Introductory To Volume III by Prof. Matthias Loy.
- Pre-Christian Apocalyptic Literature by Dr. Geo. H. Schodde.
- Matthew 18:15-18 by Prof. C. H. L. Schuette.
- The Calvinistic Doctrine Concerning Predestination And Election by Prof. F. W. Stellhorn.
- “Intuitu Fidei” — “In View Of Faith.” By Prof. F. A. Schmidt.
- The Use Of Creeds By Prof. Matthias Loy.
Vol. III. April, 1883. No. 2.
- The Fallacy Of Liberalism By Prof. Matthias Loy.
- The Baptism Of John By Prof. F. W. Stellhorn.
- Consistency Of Christian Doctrine By Rev. P. Eirich, Hoboken, N. J.
- The Articles Of Faith.
- Homiletical Department By Prof. C. H. L. Schuette.
Vol. III. June, 1883. No. 3.
- Soul And Spirit By Prof. Matthias Loy.
- Wine In The Bible By Prof. F. W. Stellhorn.
- Missouri’s Infatuation. Brief Review Of The Closing Controversy By Rev. P. Eirich. Article I.
- The Pentateuchal Problem By Dr. Geo. H. Schodde.
- The Limit Of The Law Of Peace By Prof. Matthias Loy.
- Homiletical Department By Prof. C. H. L. Schutte.
Vol. III. August, 1883. No. 4.
- The Cry Against Creeds By Prof. Matthias Loy.
- The Voice Of The Lutheran Church Concerning Luther’s Book “De Servo Arbitrio” By Prof. F. W. Stellhorn.
- Luther And The Pericope System By Dr. Geo. H. Schodde.
- The Safeguards Of Scientific Investigation By Rev. H. J. Schuh.
- Homiletical Department.
- The Lutheran Anniversary. Thanksgiving For The Gift Of Luther. Isa. 49:13-17.
- Luther Characterized. 1 Sam. 13:13-14, On Jer. 3:15.
- The Work Of Luther. Jude 1-4.
- Hindrances To Pulpit Efficiency By Prof. Matthias Loy.
Vol. III. October, 1883. No. 5.
- Human Depravity Illustrated In The Deterioration Of Words By Prof. Matthias Loy.
- Missouri’s Infatuation. A Brief Review Of The Closing Controversy, By Rev. P. Eirich, Hoboken, N.J. Article II.
- Who Is The Judge In Ecclesiastical Controversies? By Dr. Geo. H. Schodde.
- Luther And His Work By Rev. C. H. Rohe.
Vol. III. December, 1883. No. 6.
- The Fifth Article Of The Augustana By Rev. H. J. Schuh, A. M., Detroit, Mich.
- The Character And Influence Of Luther’s Work With Respect To The Age In Which He Lived By Rev. A. Pflueger.
- Missouri’s Infatuation By Rev. P. Eirich, Hoboken, N. J. Third And Last Article.
- Concerning Christ’s State Of Humiliation By Dr. Geo. H. Schodde.
Order a Printed Copy
Print Copy: Columbus Theological Magazine Volume 3, Matthias Loy, Editor - “Lutheran Librarian” edition
Download the eBook
Legacy MOBI (If EPUB or AZW3 won’t work on your device)
You can expect your book to arrive within a few hours. If you don't find it, check your spam or junk mail folder. You can also request a copy of this or any Lutheran Library e-book by sending an email with the book's title and format.
Enjoy the book!
- Lutheran Library edition first published: 2022
- Copyright: CC BY 4.0