“If we can add to our mind treasury the twenty-four leading hymns of the Christian church, what a splendid employment it will be! — Rev. Amos Wells
Why These 24 Hymns To Memorize?
“On the way to the Denver Christian Endeavor Convention, Mrs. F. E. Clark asked a large number of distinguished clergymen and eminent laymen that were upon the train, to prepare a list of what they considered the most beautiful and helpful Christian hymns. They did so, and a large and exceedingly fine list was the result… It is hoped that they will be committed to memory by all Juniors, and it is suggested that one of these hymns be repeated in concert at every Junior meeting for a month. Let the pastor or superintendent tell the story of the hymn, and give an opportunity for those who can bring in additional stories to do so.
Clear print, large format quality paperback available on Amazon by the Lutheran Librarian
Listing of Hymns
- “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” by Martin Luther
- “Abide with Me” by Henry Francis Lyte
- “All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name” by Edward Perronet
- “Am I a Soldier of the Cross” by Isaac Watts
- “Awake, My Soul” by Bishop Thomas Ken
- “Calm on the Listening Ear of Night” by Edmund Hamilton Sears
- “From Greenland’s Icy Mountains” by Bishop Heber
- “God Be With You Till We Meet Again” by J. E. Rankin
- “God Bless Our Native Land” by Charles T. Brooks and John S. Dwight
- “How Firm a Foundation” Probably by Robert Keene
- “In the Cross of Christ I Glory” by Sir John Bowring
- “Jesus, Lover of My Soul” by Charles Wesley
- “Just as I Am” by Charlotte Elliott
- “My Country, Tis of Thee” by Samuel Francis Smith
- “My Faith Looks Up to Thee” by Ray Palmer
- “Nearer, My God, to Thee” by Sarah Flower Adams
- “O Day of Rest and Gladness” by Bishop Wordsworth
- “O Little Town of Bethlehem” by Bishop Brooks
- “Onward, Christian Soldiers” by Sabine Baring-Gould
- “Rock of Ages” by Augustus M. Toplady
- “Speed Away!” by Fanny Crosby
- “Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus!” by George Duffield
- “Sun of My Soul” by John Keble
- “Take My Life” by Frances Ridley Havergal
Order a Printed Copy
Print Copy: Twenty-four Memory Hymns And Their Stories by Amos Russel Wells - “Lutheran Librarian” edition
Download the eBook
Legacy MOBI (If EPUB or AZW3 won’t work on your device)
You can expect your book to arrive within a few hours. If you don't find it, check your spam or junk mail folder. You can also request a copy of this or any Lutheran Library e-book by sending an email with the book's title and format.
Enjoy the book!
- Lutheran Library edition first published: 2020
- Copyright: CC BY 4.0
- Updated v5.1 (2020-02-15) - corrected typos.