“Salvation is the great end for which the Son of God came into the world. To restore fallen man to his original state of holiness and happiness, he must be delivered from the curse of sin that is upon him and the power of the devil that enslaves him.
“The mistake of those who direct all their efforts toward making men better and improving human society by teaching and enforcing the law… is of serious consequence to the souls of men… It can neither save their souls nor make them good… The only help for us is in Christ, without whom we can do nothing; and that help consists first of all in the forgiveness of our sins, which separate us from God and all that is good, and deprive us of all true peace and joy. Therefore the Christian life depends on faith in the Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
“‘Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ; by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.’ Rom. 5:1, 2.
On This Page
Matthias Loy (1828-1915) served as president of the Joint Synod of Ohio, the Columbus Seminary and Capital University, and edited the Lutheran Standard and the Columbus Theological Magazine. In 1881 he withdrew the Joint Synod from the Synodical Conference as a result of Walther’s teaching about predestination. Many of Matthias Loy’s books are available in Lutheran Library editions.
Preface by Lutheran Librarian
1. It Is High Time To Awake Out Of Sleep. Rom. 13:11-14. The First Sunday In Advent.
2. The Blessings Of Our Saviour’s Advent. Rom. 15:4-13. The Second Sunday In Advent.
3. The Office Of The Gospel Minister. 1 Cor. 4:1-5. The Third Sunday In Advent.
4. When Do We Rightly Appreciate The Nearness Of Our Lord? Phil. 4:4-7. The Fourth Sunday In Advent.
5. The Grace Of God That Bringeth Salvation. Tit. 2:11-14. Christmas Day.
6. Our Adoption As God’s Children. Gal 4:1-7. The Sunday After Christmas.
7. Faith Is The Only Way Of The Sinner’s Justification. Gal. 3:23-29. New Year’s Day.
8. God Saves Us. Tit. 3:4-8. Sunday After New Year.
9. Shine, For The Light Has Come. Isaiah 60:1-6. Epiphany.
10. The Christian’s Reasonable Service. Rom. 12:1-6. First Sunday After Epiphany.
11. The Manifold Gifts Of God. Rom. 12:6-16. Second Sunday After Epiphany.
12. Overcome Evil With Good. Rom. 12:17—21. Third Sunday After Epiphany.
13. The Law of Love. Rom. 13:8-10. Fourth Sunday After Epiphany.
14. The New Life In Practice. Col. 3:12-17. Fifth Sunday After Epiphany.
15. The Sure Word Of God. 2 Pet. 1:16-21. Sixth Sunday After Epiphany.
16. The Race For The Crown of Glory. 1 Cor. 9:24-10:5. Sunday Septuagesima.
17. God’s Grace Is Sufficient In Every Trial. 2 Cor. 11:19-12:1—9. Sunday Sexagesima.
18. The Excellency Of Christian Love. 1 Cor. 13:1-13. The Sunday Quinquagesima, Or Estomihi.
19. How The Grace Of God Is Received In Vain. 2 Cor. 6:1-10. First Sunday In Lent, Or Invocavit.
20. Abounding More and More in Holiness. 1 Thess. 4:1-7. The Second Sunday In Lent, Or Reminiscere.
21. Walk As Children of Light. Eph. 5:1-9. Third Sunday In Lent, Or Oculi.
22. The Gospel Makes Believers Free. Gal 4:21-31. The Fourth Sunday In Lent, Or Laetare.
23. Christ As Our Great High Priest. Heb. 9:11-15. The Fifth Sunday In Lent, Or Judica.
24. Our Savior’s Humiliation. Phil. 2:5-11. The Sixth Sunday In Lent, Or Palmarum.
25. The Holy Supper. 1 Cor. 11:23—32. Maundy Thursday.
26. Only Christ And Him Crucified. 1 Cor. 2:2. Good Friday.
27. How Shall We Keep The Easter Feast? 1 Cor. 5:6-8. Easter Day.
28. The Record Which God Hath Given Of His Son. 1 John 5:4-10. The First Sunday After Easter.
29. Christ Our Example. Peter 2:21—25. The Second Sunday After Easter.
30. How To Live A Christian Life. 1 Pet. 2:11-20. The Third Sunday After Easter.
31. The Word Which Is Able To Save The Soul. James 1:16-21. The Fourth Sunday After Easter.
32. The Doers Of The Word. James 1:22-27. The Fifth Sunday After Easter.
33. The Significance Of Christ’s Ascension. Acts 1:1-11. Ascension Day.
34. The Essentials Of Right Living. 1 Pet. 4:7-11. Sixth Sunday After Easter.
35. The Coming Of The Holy Ghost. Acts 2:1-13. Whitsunday.
36. The Unsearchableness Of God. Rom. 11:33-36. Trinity Sunday.
37. The Christian’s Love To God. 1 John 4:16-21. First Sunday After Trinity.
38. The Christian’s Love To His Brethren. 1 John 3:13-18. Second Sunday After Trinity.
39. Christian Humility. 1 Pet. 5:6—11. Third Sunday After Trinity.
40. Waiting For The Completed Redemption. Rom. 8:18-23. Fourth Sunday After Trinity.
41. Be Followers Of That Which Is Good. 1 Peter 3:8-15. Fifth Sunday After Trinity.
42. The Meaning Of Holy Baptism. Rom. 6:3-11. Sixth Sunday After Trinity.
43. Why We Christians Should Strive After Holiness? Rom. 6:19-23. Seventh Sunday After Trinity.
44. The Spirit of Adoption. Rom. 8:12-17. Eighth Sunday After Trinity.
45. Take Heed Lest Ye Fall. 1 Cor. 10:6-13. Ninth Sunday After Trinity.
46. The Divers Gifts Of The Spirit For The Common Benefit. 1 Cor. 12:1-11. Tenth Sunday After Trinity.
47. The Gospel Of Our Salvation. 1 Cor. 15:1-10. Eleventh Sunday After Trinity.
48. The Twofold Ministration Of The Word. 2 Cor. 3:4-11. Twelfth Sunday After Trinity.
49. The Promise By Faith Of Jesus Christ. Gal. 3:15-22. Thirteenth Sunday After Trinity.
50. The Conflict Between The Spirit And The Flesh. Gal. 5:16-24. Fourteenth Sunday After Trinity.
51. Let Us Walk In The Spirit. Gal. 5:25 — 6:10. Fifteenth Sunday After Trinity.
52. Paul’s Prayer For Christians. Eph. 3:13-21. Sixteenth Sunday After Trinity.
53. Keep The Unity Of The Spirit. Seventeenth Sunday After Trinity. Eph. 4:1-6.
54. God Is Faithful. Eighteenth Sunday After Trinity. 1 Cor. 1:4-9.
55. Put Off The Old, Put On The New Man. Eph. 4:22-28. Nineteenth Sunday After Trinity.
56. How The Christian Walks Wisely. Eph. 5:15-21. Twentieth Sunday After Trinity.
57. The Christian Warfare. Eph. 6:10-17. Twenty-first Sunday After Trinity.
58. The Minister’s Joy In A Faithful People. Phil. 1:3-11. Twenty-second Sunday After Trinity.
59. The Earthly And The Heavenly Mind. Phil. 3:17—21. Twenty-third Sunday After Trinity.
60. Our Possessions In Christ. Col. 1:9-14. Twenty-fourth Sunday After Trinity.
61. Our Comfort In Death. 1 Thess. 4:13-18. Twenty-fifth Sunday After Trinity.
62. The End Of The World. 2 Pet. 3-14. Twenty-sixth Sunday After Trinity.
If you request an EPUB or MOBI version, you can expect to receive it within a few hours. If you don't hear back by the next day, check your spam or junk mail folder. This is especially true for yahoo mail.
You can also request a copy of this or any Lutheran Library e-book by sending an email to email@example.com with the title and format you'd like.