Is true Christianity Marxist?
David Baring is a young Cambridge graduate who unexpectedly comes into a large fortune. Circumstances cause him to wonder if a rich man can really tell if he is loved for himself, or only for his money. He begins to despise his wealth and like many people today wonders if Socialism is the answer.
Joseph Hocking (1860-1937) was a Cornish novelist and United Methodist Free Church minister. Like the American Presbyterian minister Edward Roe, Hocking’s novels combine rich characters with gripping stories. Joseph Hocking published more than 100 books and was greatly respected as a fiction writer.
Clear print, large format quality paperback available on Amazon by the Lutheran Librarian
- Part One: The Good Fortune of David Baring
- 1 Two Young Men
- 2 In Which Two Characters Are Introduced Whose Importance Will Be Seen As The Story Proceeds
- 3 The Conduct Of Mr. John Jay, Solicitor
- 4 How David Baring Took Possession Of Malpas Towers
- 5 Martha Hayes, The Housekeeper
- 6 David Baring’s Good Fortune From Different Points Of View
- 7 A Dream Of Arcadia
- 8 A Dream Of Love
- 9 Pluto
- 10 A Flower In The Wilderness
- 11 The Foolishness Of David Baring
- 12 Emily Baker’s Mother
- 13 Who Was Emily Baker?
- 14 Trying To Help
- 15 The Logic Of Whitechapel
- 16 The Great Renunciation
- Part Two: A Young Man’s Madness
- 1 The Man Who Was Mad, And The Man Who Was Sane
- 2 A New Utopia
- 3 The First Glimpse Of Life At The Brotherhood Settlement
- 4 David Renders A Service To Miss Grace Muswell
- 5 “I Am A Member Of The Brotherhood Settlement”
- 6 The Opinion Of The Elect
- 7 The Coming 0f Life’s Master Passion
- 8 Leap Year’s Privilege Out Of Season
- 9 David Makes A Momentous Confession
- 10 Heart Searchings
- 11 David Makes A Speech
- 12 Love’s Young Dream
- 13 David Begins To Realize His Madness
- 14 The Second Visit To Muswell Hall
- 15 “Give Me A Year”
- 16 “The Touch Of Life”
- 17 The End Of The Madness
- Part Three: David Baring’s Sanity
- 1 Mr. John Jay’s Diplomacy
- 2 David Baring’s Plan
- 3 Back To The Old Home
Order a Printed Copy
Print Copy: David Baring by Joseph Hocking - “Lutheran Librarian” edition
Download the eBook
EPUB - [Apple, Kobo and other devices]
MOBI+AZW3 - [Kindle]
If you request an EPUB or MOBI version, you can expect to receive it within a few hours. If you don't hear back by the next day, check your spam or junk mail folder. This is especially true for yahoo mail.
You can also request a copy of this or any Lutheran Library e-book by sending an email with the title and format you'd like.
Enjoy the book!
- Lutheran Library edition first published: 2020
- Copyright: CC BY 4.0