“These sermons were preached in the Church of the Holy Communion, Philadelphia, to a congregation consisting in part of University and college students. In preaching it was impossible to disassociate from my mind the struggles through which many of these young people were passing and the battles which I was asked to help them fight during the week.
“The endeavor throughout is to set forth Christ Jesus as the Savior of the world. I have attempted to compare and contrast the Christ with those with whom He came into contact. The sermons thus presented are outlines rather than elaborations; earnest, practical discourses with a definite object in view rather than rhetorical, literary productions with an aesthetic congregation in mind. – Rev. Ernst Pfatteicher
Ernst Philip Pfatteicher (1874-1943) studied at Lafayette College, Easton, Pa, the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, the University of Erlangen, the University of Pennsylvania (D.D.) and Muhlenberg College (J.D.). He assisted Theodore Schmauk from 1898-1902, and served pastorates in Norristown, Philadelphia, and Reading. Dr. Pfatteicher was elected president of the Philadelphia Ministerium, Director of the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, and member of the National Lutheran Council. He is the author of Solomon: King David’s Earth Born Son and Think on These Things. [prabook com]
- About The Lutheran Library
- Preface by Lutheran Librarian
- 1 First Sunday In Advent. Zechariah 9:9.
- 2 Second Sunday In Advent. Luke 21:31.
- 3 Third Sunday In Advent. Matthew 2:3.
- 4 Fourth Sunday In Advent. John 1:19.
- 5 Christmas Day. Luke 2:1, 11.
- 6 Second Christmas Day. Luke 2:17-20.
- 7 Sunday After Christmas. Luke 2:34, 35, 38.
- 8 New Year. Luke 2:21.
- 9 Sunday After New Year. Matthew 2:13.
- 10 Epiphany. Matthew 2:2.
- 11 First Sunday After Epiphany. Luke 2:49.
- 12 Second Sunday After Epiphany. John 2:4.
- 13 Third Sunday After Epiphany. Matthew 8:3, 13.
- 14 Fourth Sunday After Epiphany. Matthew 8:25-26.
- 15 Fifth Sunday After Epiphany. Matthew 13:24-25.
- 16 Sixth Sunday After Epiphany. Matthew 17:2.
- 17 Septuagesima. Matthew 20:16.
- 18 Sexagesima. Luke 8:5.
- 19 Quinquagesima. Luke 18:31, 43.
- 20 Ash Wednesday. Matthew 6:16, 19.
- 21 First Sunday In Lent. Matthew 4:1.
- 22 Second Sunday In Lent. Matthew 15:24.
- 23 Third Sunday In Lent. Luke 2:15.
- 24 Fourth Sunday In Lent. John 6:26.
- 25 Fifth Sunday In Lent. John 8:46.
- 26 Palm Sunday. Matthew 21:9.
- 27 Holy Thursday. Matthew 26:40.
- 28 Good Friday. John 19:30.
- 29 Easter Day. Mark 16:6.
- 30 First Sunday After Easter. John 20:28.
- 31 Second Sunday After Easter. John 10:2.
- 32 Third Sunday After Easter. John 16:16.
- 33 Fourth Sunday After Easter. John 16:8.
- 34 Fifth Sunday After Easter. John 16:26.
- 35 Ascension Day. Acts 1:9-11.
- 36 Sunday After Ascension Day. John 15:26-27
- 37 Whitsunday. John 14:26.
- 38 Trinity Sunday. John 3:3.
- Lutheran Library edition first published: 2019
- Copyright: CC BY 4.0