“(The purpose of this book) is to prove the truth of revealed religion in general, and of the Christian in particular, from the completion of those prophecies in the Old and New Testaments which relate to the Christian Church, especially to the apostasy of Papal Rome.” — the author.
Alfred Edersheim (1825-1889), was raised Jewish. He studied at the University of Vienna and New College, Edinburgh. After finding faith in the Messiah, he was ordained in the Free Church of Scotland, and later the Church of England.
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate: Some subject matter knowledge helpful.
- 1 On The Origin Of Christianity In The Old Testament.
- 2 On The Kingdom Of God As The Leading Idea Of The Old Testament, And On Certain Recent Criticism Concerning The Arrangement And Date Of The Canon.
- 3 The Faith And Rites Of The Primitive Church Are Confirmed By Indubitable Christian, And By Important Non-Christian Evidence.
- 4 On Some Fundamental Principles Regarding The Study Of Prophecy And Its Fulfillment, Together With Remarks On Certain Special Prophecies.
- 5 On Prophetism And Heathen Divination, The Moral Element In Old Testament Prophecy, And The Biblical Canons For Distinguishing The True From The False Prophet.
- 6 On The Spiritual Element In Prophecy: The Old Testament Pointed To A Spiritual Fulfillment In The Kingdom Of God.
- 7 On The History Of The Recent Criticism Of The Pentateuch, And On Some Difficulties Connected With Its Results.
- 8 Some Further Considerations Regarding The Composition And Date Of The Pentateuch.
- 9 The Messianic Idea In The Later Stages Of Israel’s History: The Apocrypha And Their Relation To The Past And The Future.
- 10 On The Different Movements Of National Life In Palestine In Their Bearing On The Messianic Idea; On The Nationalist Movement In Its Connection With Pseudepigraphic Literature: The Pseudepigrapha, And Their Character.
- 11 Analysis And Contents Of The Pseudepigraphic Writings; Their Teaching Concerning The Messiah And Messianic Times.
- 12 The Last Stage In Messianic Prophecy: John The Baptist; His Character And Preaching. The Fulfillment In Christ.
Download the eBook
Facsimile PDF (large file)
This book is only available in PDF format.
- Lutheran Library edition first published: 2023
- Copyright: CC BY 4.0